If you spend a lot of money on heating and cooling your home, you're not alone. Heating and cooling account for almost half of the energy use in typical U.S. homes, which makes it the largest energy expense for most people.
A majority of the homes racking up large utility bills rely on central air conditioning for their cooling needs, but there are other, less expensive alternatives to consider.
Rethinking how you control the air in your home could make a significant difference when it comes to your monthly bill.
Portable air conditioners with heaters are a worthwhile option to explore. These units often have multiple functionalities -- such as cooling, heating, and dehumidifying -- and may be easier to maintain than central air.
If you're curious to learn more about this option, read on.
1. What is a Portable Air Conditioner with a Heater?
Portable air conditioners with heaters are small units, usually about the size of a water cooler, that can cool or heat your home.
Unlike central air, they require no installation. Unlike mounted wall units, portable units can be easily transported from room to room.
All you need is a power source and a window to vent air out of, and you're ready to go.
2. Pros of Using a Portable Air Conditioner with a Heater
If central air is not an option for you or your home -- or if you're looking for an alternative -- consider a portable air conditioner that includes a heater.
There are several pros to purchasing this type of unit:
- No installation is required, and set up is easy enough for anyone
- They can be used at any time and easily move from room to room
- Most units are actually multiple units in one and include an air conditioner, fan, dehumidifier and heater
- Come in a variety of styles and colors, so you can pick the look you want
Because this type of unit combines both heating and cooling, you are essentially getting two (or more!) products in one. It's a great investment and a user and wallet-friendly option.
3. Cons of Using a Portable Air Conditioner with a Heater
Like all appliances, a portable air conditioner that includes a heater could have a few issues. Here are a few things you should be aware of before purchasing:
- Units can get heavy, making it difficult for some people to transport them from room to room
- Some units include a tank that will need to be emptied
- If you live in an area of extreme heat, you may want cooler air than this type of product can provide
In general, the pros far outweigh the cons of this type of product. Still, it is useful for customers to know what to look for when making a decision.
Ready to Shop for Portable Air Conditioners with Heaters?
If you live in a mild climate where you only need air conditioning a few days of the air, a portable unit that also includes a heater is a useful solution. With more models coming to the market every day, there is sure to be something that fits your needs.